The Huawei P Smart is Huawei’s latest budget device offering, which surprisingly leans more towards a premium smartphone, especially when it comes to looks and design. I’ve used and owned many budget devices, but none have been quite as nice as this one. It was first released in the U.K, in February exclusively to the Vodafone network for a limited time. It can be bought for as little £179.95 sim free from Argos at the time of this review.
- PRO-GRADE CAMERA: Features high-powered, pro lenses for beautiful photographs in any light with 3X optical zoom
- 30X SPACE ZOOM: Zoom in close from afar or magnify details of something nearby with the power of 30X Space Zoom
- NIGHT MODE: Capture crisp images and vibrant videos with Night Mode and capture high-quality content in low light. Compatible Samsung Galaxy device or Samsung TV required. Devices will work on any compatible network. Wireless voice, data and messaging services are compatible with most GSM networks such as AT&T and T-Mobile and CDMA networks such as Verizon, Sprint and US Cellular
- SINGLE-TAKE AI: One tap of the screen captures multiple images and videos all at once
- Control compatible lights, home appliances and other Smart Home devices at the touch of a button
- Integrated temperature sensor
- Easy mounting by magnet or 3M adhesive strip
- Compact and simple design
- ⛱️ 2 Pack Universal size waterproof case dry bag, fits all smartphones up to 7 inches tall and 4 inches wide (Certain big screen phones need to remove protective case); Also can be protection for your ID, cash, credit cards, passport, key
- ⛱️ Clear Window on both front and back sides, easy to operate the touch screen functions, perfect for taking pictures, videos and checking emails
- ⛱️ 100 feet/30 meters IPX8 Certified waterproof, perfect for pools, beach, fishing, swimming, sailing, skiing, boating, kayaking, snorkeling, tubing, rafting, shower, sauna and other water park activities, keep your phone and wallet perfectly dry and safe
- ⛱️ Each comes with a neck strap for convenient carrying, so you can fully dive into your adventures without worrying about your valuables being stolen
- ⛱️ Tips: 1. Please carry out a waterproof test on the product before using it. 2. Make sure it is sealed properly before use it in the water.
- Special design compatible with: Huawei P Smart Z / Y9 Prime 2019 Case.
- Ring Bracket Holder: The hidden 360°ring rotate grip kickstand feature design full of artistic sense which can liberate your hands while video watching or chatting,which can work with magnetic car mountand rubberized inner gel material, fits comfortably around your phone and protects it from dust, dirt, scratches and prevent from falling.
- Dual Layer protection: Two-part construction of shock-absorbing soft TPU and durable hard polycarbonate (2in1 Combo Back Case).Soft shockproof silcone inner combined with hard UV matt oil PC cover just to all-round protection your phone from scratches, dust, dirt, fingerprints, and other daily wear.
- Tempered glass screen: With a clear tempered glass screen protect film,which is 0.3mm thickness and 9H hardness tempered glass screen protector protects against drops Drops, Shocks, Bumps, Scratches, Bruises, scuffs, dirt, dust.
- Easy to access: Precise Cutouts Reserve Full Access to Speaker, Ports, Camera and Control Buttons, Highly Acclaimed Moulded Edge Technology Strengthens the Durability at its most fragile points.
- 🏆【Stylish Smart Watch】- With a sleek, modern design, brilliant 1.54" OLED display. Stainless steel surface, precision laminating process. Nano TPU85 material strap, anti-sweat matte surface treatment, ergonomic convex design and soft strap, which make wearing more comfortable. Life water resistant, the smart watch surface can resist rainwater impact when you are in outdoor
- ⌚【Two Working Model】- ☛Bluetooth model: Just connect the smart watch with your phone via Bluetooth, then download and install the APP (BTNotification or FunRun or Fundo), so you can read Whatsapp,Twitter,Facebook and other application push messages, make or receive calls, view and reply text messages etc.. ☛SIM card model: If you install a GSM 2G/2.5G Network SIM Card into the smart watch, you can make phone call directly from the smart watch, including answering and dial-up, send/reply messages
- ⏰【Multifunctional Smart Watch】 - Activity Tracker: Pedometer, sleep monitoring, sedentary remind. Other functions: Image viewer, Sound recorder (need put and SD card ), Remote capture, Alarm clock, Calendar,Camera (0.3M),Two way Anti-lost.
- 📸【WIDE COMPATIBILITY】 - This smart watch can support most android (Full compatible)and ios phones(Function limited). Please note functions is limited for IOS system.For IOS, it just support answer & call, phone book, music play, camera, clock, pedometer, phone anti-lost alert. Still not support SMS, Radio, remote camera control, etc.
- 🎉【High Capacity Battery】 -Super high capacity 380mAh Lithium-lon battery.Gives up to 180 hours standby time and 5 hours talking time.This new upgraded smartwatch is easy to use.It is perfect gift to any age.
- 24/7 heart rate monitor and sleep tracker: 24/7 heart rate monitoring allows to check your heart rate anytime, and better understand your heart rate trends. automatic sleep tracking your deep, light, and awake sleep patterns, and provide comprehensive analysis of your sleep quality (deep sleep,light sleep and wake up time) to help you get a better understanding of your health and and make reasonable adjustment on your lifestyle.
- accurate fitness tracker and connected gps: supports 8 sports such as walking, running, bicycle, hike, mountaineering, dynamic cycling, hike, fitness, treadmill, yoga. accurately record all day activities like steps, distance, calories burned, miles walked, active minutes. connecting the gps in your cellphone can track all your workout routes, distances, and physical status during exercise. stay motivated all day!
- call and message notifications: when you connect the smart watch to your smartphone, you will never miss a call or message again. it will vibrate and notify you when your phone receives a call, sms text or sns notifications (facebook, twitter, whatsapp, linkedi, messenger, instagram). you can even hang up incoming phone calls straight from your wrist.
- waterproof fitness watch and long lasting battery: fitness watch is designed with ip67 waterproof rating,which allows you to swim in the pool with it with no worries(notice: it can not track your swimming data). large capacity and low power consumption design offers longer endurance.it support 7 days of normal use and 30 days standby time, donerton smartwatch are very suitable for outdoor sports, workouts whole day!
- overtake your expectations: our 1.4 inch color touch screen make it easy to operate and easily check detailed data reports. there is 4 stylish clock faces for you to choose from, different styles match your different moods. more practical tools such as alarm clocks, stopwatch, timer, camera control, music controller, sedentary reminder, adjustable brightness,find phone. this watch can be a very good gift choice to make people live more healthy, more active and more convenient.
- 【ALEXA & GPS BUILT-IN】You can talk to Amazon Alexa on your Amazfit Bip U Pro smartwatch, Ask questions, get translations, check the weather, control your smart home devices and more. And get precise tracking of your distance, daily step count thanks to integrated GPS.
- 【60+ SPORTS MODES & 5 ATM WATERPROOF】Featuring 60+ sports modes to help you exercise at a higher level. Water-resistant up to 50 meters, you can wear the fitness watch for swimming and it will record your achievements even underwater.
- 【MORE HEALTH TRACKING METRICS】The Amazfit Bip U Pro smart watch can provide all-around health tracking, allowing you to accurately track 24-hour heart rate, blood oxygen levels, stress levels, sleep quality, and female menstrual cycle.
- 【LONG 9-DAY BATTERY LIFE】When fully charged you can relax and enjoy more than a full week of travel or work without worrying about chargers.
- 【DESIGN FOR ALL-DAY COMFORT】Amazfit Bip U Pro fitness tracker only weighs 31 grams, An ultra-light design you can barely feel when striving for peak performance. Featuring a 1.43” large color screen with 320x302 pixel resolution, creates an exquisite visual display, making all incoming calls, messages, and reminders extremely clear.
- 【TOUGHNESS FROM THE INSIDE OUT】The Amazfit T-Rex Pro comes with a 1.3" HD AMOLED always-on color screen; The outer bezel undergoes a metal-spraying process, which enhances the rich textures of the light 60g watch body. Having passed 15 military-grade tests1, this smart watch can battle with you through hot deserts, humid rainforest and polar glaciers. Witness endurance that braves the elements with ease.
- 【YOUR PARTNER IN EXPLORATION】The Amazfit T-Rex Pro smartwatch is high-level exploration partner, supporting four global navigation satellite systems, a blood-oxygen saturation measurement system, a heart rate monitor, a sleep monitor, a weather tracker, a sunrise and sunset monitor, a current moon phase display, a compass and barometric altimeter.
- 【Ultra-long 18 Day Battery Life】When fully-charged, you can relax and enjoy up to 18 days of activity and progress with typical usage, or up to 9 days with heavy usage, or up to 40 hours with GPS continuous working mode. Go nonstop with T-Rex Pro watch！
- 【10 ATM WATERPROOF】With a 10 ATM grade, the Amazfit T-Rex Pro smart watch is water-resistant to a depth of up to 100 meters and can accompany you as you surf, swim, or explore the mysterious underwater world together.
- 【OVER 100 SPORTS MODES】The Amazfit T-Rex Pro fitness watch features over 100 sports modes and can be used to monitor critical data such as workout heart rate, distance traveled, movement speed, and calories burned in real time for most sports modes, to help you track and improve your athletic performance.
- All-day Activity Tracking: This smart watch has 7 kinds of sports modes (Walking, Running, Cycling, Skipping, Badminton, Basketball, Football). The watch display shows your accurate steps, distance, calories, active minutes and you can see more detailed data on App.
- Sleep and Blood Oxygen Saturation: The smart watch for android phones can monitor your Heart Rate, Blood Pressure, Blood Oxygen (SpO2) and your deep, light sleep state which can help you better understand your health. (NOTE: the data cannot be used as a medical-grade test)
- Notifications and More Practical Features: All messages and notifications will show on your wrist and remind you through vibration. It cannot answer call or text on watch. There are also many convenient functions like Timer, Wake-up Gesture, Find Phone, Sedentary Reminder, Music Control and Weather Display.
- 1.4 Inch Full-touch Screen & Custom Watch Face: The watch with 1.4 inch LCD screen can provide you with high-quality touch and visual experience. Five levels of brightness options allow you to easily read information in the sun or dark. Also you can choose a picture you like to customize the watch face in HeroBandIII App. (Wristband Size: 5.85 - 8.78 inch)
- Great Battery Life and Wider Compatibility: Our smart watch is compatible with iOS 9.0/Android OS 4.4 or above smartphones. It can be used for up to 7 days and standby for 30+ days after fully charged.
- 【Compact and easy to use】The T30 Smart Plug is designed to make your home smart, not complicated. Compact and lightweight, these plugs were designed so that adjacent sockets would not be blocked
- 【Customize schedules and timers】Make life a little easier by scheduling devices to turn on and off at just the right time. No more worrying about whether you left something on at home - now you can check on it remotely using your mobile device
- 【Works with voice assistants】Voice Control works with Google Home or Amazon Echo, supported devices for a hands free experience
- 【A plug that remembers】Fear no disruption caused by power outages or Internet disconnection! The T30 smart plug is smart enough to resume your preset schedules when the power and connection are restored
- 【Safe to use】Made from flame-resistant materials, the T30 Smart Plug is able to protect your appliances from unwanted accidents. And you can use the EZVIZ App to turn off the indicator light for a good night's sleep
Huawei P Smart Review: Design
Huawei seems to have gone above and beyond the realms of expectation, with the design of this budget device. In a move similar to something from Apple, they have crafted the Huawei P Smart from a single block of Aluminium, which is in all honesty amazing. No plastic here, just good old solid metal. Also, present on the rear at the top and bottom of the phone is that famed antenna line that has presented itself across most premium smartphones. Of course, the use of Aluminium does mean there are some drawbacks, such as how easily the device can be scuffed and marked. I’ve had my review unit for about 3 weeks and what was once a shiny new phone, is already showing signs of wear from being kept in pockets.
The matt black paint finish looks really good and provides a smooth surface for your hand to grip. It is, however also a grease magnet, that picks up most surface residue quite easily. That said a quick wipe will get rid of the mess until you put it down again.
Taking up its rightful space at the front of the P Smart is a 5.65-inch IPS LCD screen. Instead of the typical 16:9 panel, the P Smart instead uses an 18:9 panel, which means it has been stretched horizontally, which means less bezel and more on-screen space.
Located above the display is a front-facing 8-megapixel camera for video calls and selfies. Next to this is the earpiece speaker, the one you use for phone calls. Also present is a small LED status light for notification purposes. What’s really impressive about this area is just how little bezel has been used to house these three things. Talking of which there’s also barely any bezel running down the sides of the display. For a budget phone, this comes as a welcome shock.
Turn the phone over and there you will find the center-mounted fingerprint scanner, that can be used to unlock the phone from a sleep state. At the top is a dual camera setup consisting of one 13-megapixel shooter and one 2-megapixel shooter complete with an LED flashlight.
Running down the right-hand side of the phone are the volume rocker and power button. Both are finished with a smooth matt black paint and respond quite well to pushes while providing a click to tell you the button push is successful. On the opposite side is the sim tray with room for a micro sim and a microSD card.
The bottom is home to a 3.5mm audio jack, a microphone, the loudspeaker, which is pretty good, but not as good as some others I have used and quite surprisingly a microUSB charging port. I actually have to say I’m quite happy to see the trusty old microUSB charging port still in use as it means there’s still some use for any old microUSB cables lying around.
Huawei P Smart Review: Screen
When it comes to budget smartphones, the screen is usually one of the places that a company spends little time or money on. With the P Smart, however, it appears that Huawei has actually put some effort into its display. For a start, they have opted to go for an ultra-tall 18:9 panel, which offers more on-screen space, when compared to the typical 16:9 panel, found on most phones. With a resolution of 1080 x 2160, it offers HD+ that provides vibrant colors and rich, clear to read text.
Brightness is really good, even outside in the sun. As you would expect, there is a brightness adjustment setting, for finding the optimum brightness for your needs. It also has the feature I love on most phones and that is the Auto brightness feature, where the phone will automatically adjust the brightness according to the surroundings.
Viewing angles can be a bit troublesome, when outside in the sun. To beat this pesky issue, you’ll have to ensure you are holding the phone at a level with your face. Inside this isn’t really an issue at all.
Huawei P Smart Review: Software and Performance
Fresh out of the box, the Huawei P Smart comes running Android 8.0 (Oreo), which is currently the latest consumer ready Android version. If you have any knowledge on Huawei, you’ll know they ship their phones with a skin on top of Android, the skin is known as the Emotion U.I and it’s not exactly popular amongst the media or consumers, for good reasons. One being that Huawei has completely done away with a dedicated app drawer and instead has made the home screen the app area (think of iOS and you’ll understand what I mean).
There are a few things I like about the U.I, such as how easy it to access settings, and how clear everything is, but overall the Emotion U.I simply feels awful and lacks in many places. I feel that by adding a proper app drawer, things would be a bit better.
Thankfully the Android Ecosystem allows you to choose from a number of different launcher replacements, all available from the Play Store. So if you do find the Emotion U.I to not suit your taste, you can always go to the Play Store and find something different.
Given that the P Smart launched with Android 8.0, I see no reason why Huawei wouldn’t update it to Android P when it’s finally out. Don’t take my word for it though as I can’t 100% guarantee that they will, but as it’s a new device, it does seem unlikely they would leave their consumers out of the P action.
For a mid-range device, the Huawei P Smart really is a shocker in terms of performance. Not only does it look like a premium phone, it performs like one too, even though its insides are nowhere near as powerful as what you would find in a premium high-end device. Running the show is the HiSilicon Kirin 659, a SoC that is produced in-house by Huawei themselves. It consists of an Octacore processor (4×2.36 GHz Cortex-A53 & 4×1.7 GHz Cortex-A53) combined with a Mali-T830 MP2 GPU. Running alongside this SoC is 3GB of RAM (with the 32GB model) or 4GB of RAM (with the 64GB model).
Having used the phone for many different purposes, from browsing the web to watching videos, to playing games and everything that makes a phone, well a phone, I have experienced just how well it performs under different situations. It takes the load with ease, when multitasking, thanks to that 3GB of RAM and some decent memory management under the hood. Multitasking for me includes playing music, while gaming or browsing the web. With this phone, I can have several applications running in the background, and I wouldn’t even realize, as the experience remains smooth throughout. A few applications did suffer from a bit of lag and by this, I’m talking about some of the bigger games that use a lot of power, that said they were still playable and enjoyable.
Running the phone through a Geekbench test, gave some pretty good results which are almost on par with some high-end devices released between one to two years ago. For the single-core test, the P Smart scored 941, while in for the multi-core test it scored 3706.
Huawei P Smart Review: Battery
Powering the P Smart is a 3000mAh battery. By today’s standard, this isn’t particularly large but given that the specifications of the phone are modest, anything larger really isn’t necessary. The battery in this phone is capable of providing a full days use as I have learned. For me, a full days use can include phone calls, texting, browsing the web and playing games at moderate levels. I have been able to do all of this with a full battery when I wake up at 6 am and still have in excess of at least 20% by the time I go to bed in the evening, which is often after 11 pm.
A full charge from 0% to 100% takes roughly 1 hour and 45 minutes, which isn’t too bad. There’s no fast charging, which isn’t a big issue for me, but maybe for some. I would have liked to see wireless charging though, given that the phone sports a full metal body.
Huawei P Smart Review: Camera
Low priced smartphones have to suffer somewhere, it’s just how it goes, so it’s no surprise that the P Smart’s dual rear camera setup, is good, but not great. You certainly won’t be using it take any award-winning shots that for sure.
Taking shots outside in the daylight does yield some pretty decent results. With photos being clear and crisp and definitely worthy of sharing with the world, in other words, your family or friends on Facebook. Details are minimal but still noticeable, which makes outdoor shots look pretty nice.
Inside or in low light situations, the quality suffers. Details become less and clarity is lost slightly, even when using the built-in flash as a lighting source. Adding a bit of light from a light bulb or something similar does give slightly better results, but still nothing decent.
The front-facing camera works well for video calls and selfie-taking. It’s not the best and does lack clarity, but if you just like to take silly photos of your face with a dog filter on it, through Snapchat then it’s good enough.
Huawei P Smart Review: Overall
Huawei has really pulled a rabbit out of a ht with this one. It’s an amazing little device that impresses in many areas. Right from the premium design to the premium-like performance, it’s a stunning low-priced device that feels like it should cost just a bit more. That said it does suffer in some places, such as the Emotion U.I and the camera when it comes to taking low light photos. Those two points aside, it has literally become one of my favorite phones.
- Attractive sim free price
- Premium design
- Latest Android version (at time of review)
- Good battery life
- Emotion U.I needs a lot of work
- No wireless charging
- Poor camera, especially in low light situations
Last update on 2022-05-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API